Wednesday, November 07, 2007

October 16
I held almost $8000 worth of 4 carat diamonds today. This Nigerian guy I¹m
friends with starts chatting with me. I hadn¹t seen him in awhile and we
were asking eachother how our vacations were and it turns out he went to
visit his mother who he hasn¹t seen in 20 years in Sierra Leone where she
moved after divorcing his father when he was 7 years old. Anyways, he tells
me he wants to show me something so I wait outside while he goes to get
something and comes out and puts two stones in my hands and proceeds to ask
³do you know what these are?² I was in complete disbelief and all I could
think of was the movie Blood Diamond and asked him a few questions as to how
he came about these stones. He says that his mother gave them to him and
that she finds lots of them in her farm. He said she lives in the diamond
rich area and you find small diamonds on the ground when building houses,
etc. I was holding these two small stones in my hand having no clue what
size, purity or any of the diamond quality stuff is and he tells me that
they are each about 2 carats and he has another one that is 7 carats. So he
asks me if I know anything about getting them appraised and where to sell
them because apparently in Sierra Leone if you sell the diamonds to the
government they give you half of what they are actually worth so now he¹s
trying to figure out how to sell them elsewhere. I don¹t know if this is
sketchy or what to make of it but he tells me when he got them appraised in
Sierra Leone they told him that one of them is work about $3900. Wow.

No comments: