Wednesday, November 07, 2007

October 21, 2007

Birthday weekend celebrations have come and gone and I am exhausted. Friday
I stayed in Vila and the Americans took Stephanie and I out to dinner for my
birthday. It was the second time I have seen them this trip and probably the
last since they leave Monday for the states and since they did not get a
contract to stay here for work, this is their last time in Maio. It was so
great having them here the few times they have come and it certainly added
to my sanity seeing other Americans even for a short time period.

Yesterday I passed on Nhos Brinka in order to prepare for the AIDS speaker
and my grilhada. I¹m glad I did because it took that long just to prepare
all the food, make juice for the AIDS activity and get the key. The doctor
was great. People paid attention, were interested and asked questions. The
only think I could have hoped for was a bigger audience but we did have 20
people at the end and that made me happy. The grilhada (aka BBQ) was really
nice. We had a late start due to the fact that the charcoal hadn¹t arrived
and we had to go on a treasure hunt to find some but eventually we got it
fired up and the chicken was aflame. Beverages were flowing to the point
where Silvia was quite a chatterbox and had others literally rolling on the
floor laughing. Even my cat had a good time running around the roof eating
leftover chicken bones and chasing cockroaches. Not everyone who I invited
showed and there was tons of chicken left so it was decided in ³an important
meeting² (this is the beverages talking) that we would meet up the following
day and cook the rest along with potatoes and salad for lunch. I finally got
to sleep around 3 and slept in for the first time in awhile.

Our lunch today was excellent and it was so much fun being surrounded by
some of my best friends here. I¹m still stuffed from lunch and my neighbor
is coming over soon to heat up more leftovers for dinner. I better start my
bike riding again. Djoi and Jacinta¹s kid hung out with us and we played UNO
for hours and I ended up losing 11 games to 4.

No comments: