Friday, October 12, 2012

Cupcakes!

It has kind of become a tradition that I bake cupcakes for my friends' birthdays. Over the course of the past few years I have experimented with many flavors of cupcakes. I'm not sure if it started from the Wilson's cake decorating class that I took back when I was in Pennsylvania but for some reason, I've caught the cupcake bug. Now I haven't actually been to many of the cupcake shops in DC. I once wanted to go to the infamous Georgetown Cupcake but the line was so long I had no interest in waiting.  Maybe one day I'll make it to all the DC cupcakeries but for now the only place I've been is Crumbs and their S'mores cupcake is pretty good. For now I'll stick with making my own.

From a really long time ago, Irish Car Bomb cupcakes:


Salted Caramel cupcakes for a friend's birthday.




Sunflower cupcakes! Definitely made these after the decorating class when I learned all about different tips for piping.




Ice cream sundae cupcake! Made this after interviewing at UNC for B-school and visiting Sugarland- tried to recreate what I saw in the window.


 Not a cupcake but a cake. I made this one when I was in Rwanda living with someone from South Sudan. This is what I made to celebrate South Sudan's independence.

Valentine's Day back in the USA. Not the prettiest but I was trying to replicate cupcakes from  "What's New, Cupcake?"


 I made these from a cupcake book I had recently bought called "What's New, Cupcake?" for a party at a friend's house.


 Back interning in DC, made these for a fellow intern/friend's birthday. You can't tell from the pictures but there is cookie dough inside!





 I liked the sundae cupcakes so much I decided recently to make them again.


For our Autumn treat day at work, I made these pumpkin cupcakes with maple cream cheese frosting from one of my favorite blogs, Smitten Kitchen.

This past week, I made peanut butter chocolate chip cupcakes for a friend's birthday after finding this recipe on Pinterest. 

And today's first attempt at red velvet cupcakes (and the first time I've made red velvet cake period since the disaster in State College). Imagine clutzy girl mixing red velvet cake on the dining room table with 4 feet between her and the wall where it is plugged in. The carpet is white. The electric mixer is standing up on the table and of course I have to run to the kitchen to get something I forgot. Probably a key ingredient like milk. I completely forget that the mixer is plugged in, trip on it, and spill bright red batter all over the floor. I think it took the entire year I lived there to get the red out of the carpet. And Mike teased me so much about it, I hadn't attempted them again until now.  I thought about making them with beet juice as they were originally made but I thought that roasting and juicing beets would take forever so I went with the Smitten Kitchen version.










                                                                      

No comments: