Sunday, April 20, 2008

This week has been kind of depressing. On Thursday a kid from my town was murdered at the high school. This is the first murder like this that has ever happened on Maio so it makes the shock factor even higher. I didn't know him too well but I had talked to him once about helping him learn to market his crafts. He made jewelry out of coconut shells, in particular earrings and necklaces in the shape of flip flops. Apparently the event had to to with "thug issues." From all the talk in town, the kid was nice and always laughed it off when this group of boys tried to start something. There was a group of 5 of them that showed up at the school that night (or so the story goes) and one guy stabbed him in the neck and and he was dead less than 30 minutes later. It's really sad and makes me worry about the direction Maio is going.

I got a call from Mike today with more potentially bad news. He got a letter saying he may be called back to active military duty. I feel like he just got out and now they are talking about pulling him back. I really don't want him to go back to Iraq or Afghanistan. He's almost done with undergrad and has a plan for himself. And I am selfish and don't want him to be taken away from me for another year after we've been apart for 2 already.

So I'm sitting in my room sulking and avoiding the world at the moment. I guess drowning myself in work will at least keep me distracted for the moment..Sorry I'm in such a bad mood.

No comments: