Monday, April 14, 2008

April showers..oh wait theres no rain here

Sorry it has been so long since I've written. Things have been a little crazy here. Our accounting workshop went really well, to the point where the women wanted the leader to do another weeks worth of talks. That all led up to our festa for the elderly for Cape Verdian women's day which went off really well. We made food and had traditional music and people were dancing. That same day was the cuchido for our big festa so there was corn pounding all afternoon and partying at night.

We are currently planning a trip to Fogo to meet with Sarah's women's group. We had thought to do it at the end of April but time and money constraints have postponed it and now it is scheduled for May. I'm really excited about this trip, although I don't know if I will go on it, but the women are really excited and I think it will give them a big motivation factor to continue their work. Since it is costly and money is difficult, we are doing a bunch of fund raising activities. Saturday we had an afternoon tea which went fantastically. We sold tickets ahead of time and made tea, coffee, and snacks. I was completely exhausted afterwards but it went really well.

Transport is again a big problem. The boat that usually comes to Maio sunk in the ocean coming to Praia from Fogo so we are down a boat. Lately one boat has been coming a week and I saw the little boat today but I don't know if its on a schedule. The airport is still being worked on- 9 months later- and it should be ready "soon."

I was in a car accident last week. I'm fine but it scared me. Some part of the steering wheel broke and the driver lost control of the car. We went over a barrier in the middle of the road then into the rocky nothingness area where we stopped. Luckily no one was hurt.

In good news, we now have diet coke and ground beef in Maio. This is a big step up in the food world. I mean we have Cadbury chocolate bars so it was only a matter of time.

Saturday night I played in a women's soccer game in Calheta and we won 1-0. After the game was my friend Neya's 31st birthday party. I spent most of the time playing with the kids and taking pictures. They (she and her sisters) just got electricity in their house and were really excited to be able to put music and lights for the party.

I started teaching computers to the literacy program and today I start teaching a fisherman's association. I didn't really want to teach more computers but I think its important for these specific groups so its a go.

Thats about it right now. COS conference is coming up next month. Its hard to believe our Peace Corps service is coming to a close. I'll try to post more in the next few weeks.

No comments: