Thursday, August 11, 2011

South Sudan independence day

Happy Independence Day Andrew!


Those of you who know me well know my background and interest with Sudan so I was thrilled when I rented a room from a Sudanese man living in Kigali. My roommate Andrew is awesome and I learn so much from him about his family, culture, and growing up in Sudan. Since he couldn't be in South Sudan on July 9th celebrating, we brought the celebration to Kigali. 

The day started early with a trip to the only bagel shop I know of in Kigali, African Bagel Company (read more about them here) which is actually a cooperative. On Saturday mornings they serve hot fresh doughnuts in addition to the bagels. I picked up a dozen for the party. 

Andrew came and met me and some friends in town for lunch while I shopped for cake ingredients. He bought lunch for us and other friends to celebrate the big day. So sweet of him! At home we started the celebration, eating, drinking and chatting.

After dinner with a work colleague I returned along with some hostel people for the big party. The finishing touches (ie the frosting) was added to the cake and we danced and danced for hours. We sang Happy Birthday to South Sudan and yelled quite a few "oyeahs."  Andrew gave us a brief history of Sudan and how the new South Sudan became and independent country. He also shared his personal story that was heartfelt and emotional. We had him blow out the candles and cut the cake and the dancing continued.
The final cake!



Cake cutting... or staking
       Later, we left the house for a few night clubs and      ended up getting home at 5 am the next day.









No comments: