Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Last week an anchor from a ship landed on the DSL cable that provides internet to all of Cape Verde. With that being said, no one in Cape Verde had internet for about a week.

The program about violence and AIDS has been postponed for a few weeks because in typical fashion, the head of the CEJ and the guĂ˝ who came up with the idea for the program got into a little fight with one of them saying that he would no longer do it because of the lack of respect. I finally calmed him down and got him to say he would still do it until they get in another fight and the person from the CEJ announces that it will not be a CEJ program and the other guy can do it on his own. So welcome to my world of grown men acting like 10 year olds. We´re still going to do it but now we´ve moved it back and hopefully their little tithy will be long forgotten by then. But its an important program and its ridiculous that the CEJ wouldn´t hold something like this when it lacks in programming and quality programming at that.

I started my computer class in Calheta last week but unfortunately we only have 2 working computers and 20 students. This is proving to be difficult. I split the group into two classes (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Friday) but everyone wants as much practice as possible so they have all been showing up every day. That sort of ruins the whole idea of why I split them up but at least they are showing interest so I´m happy. It´s great to be back working with them. They are an excellent bunch, if only we can get more computers that work...

I´ve started walking with a group of girls for exercise. We go every night around 6 and walk to Morro and back (8 km total). It´s been really nice having a group to walk with and they have really interesting conversations. Last night we were talking about men in Cape Verde and their disrespect for women. I guess there´s been a problem with men going after their wife´s sister or friends and they were ranting about the lack of respect towards the wife. I think I´ve become numb to the fact that having a child at a young age (17-21) is normal here. Three of my students in Calheta are pregnant and really happy about it. I don´t know about all of their cases but I´m pretty sure in at least two of them, they are not in committed relationships and the father of their baby has also fathered quite a few other girl´s children.

I think I´m going to America for vacation at the beginning of July so if anyone is around NC I´d love to see you. Happy Wednesday!

No comments: